Sunday, April 12, 2020

Face masks for COVID-19 pandemic

Jonathan and Cynthia wearing multi-colored damask-print cotton masks that cover their lower faces

I dipped into my fabric stash to create face-masks for Jonathan and me. I worked from instructions shared by The Turban Project​.

The directions don’t mention seam allowance; I allowed 1/2-inch between the fabric-edge and my seam.

My mask was cut from the stated adult-size dimensions, 9-inches by 6-inches. For Jonathan’s mask, I increased the width by 1/2-inch to 9 1/2 inches. I also reduced the number of tucks on the sides of his mask, two tucks instead of three.

The Sonoma County Health Officer is recommending that everyone who leaves home should wear some sort of face covering. “Since not everyone with COVID-19 knows they are sick, wearing a face covering helps make sure you don’t unknowingly affect others.”

The Health Officer is also reminding people that “wearing a face covering or mask is NOT a substitute for social distancing.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Robust debate and even unusual opinions are encouraged, but please stay on-topic and be respectful. Comments are subject to review for personal attacks or insults, discriminatory statements, hyperlinks not directly related to the discussion and commercial spam.