Saturday, February 20, 2010

Lake County Library: First volunteer shift

Today I worked my first volunteer shift at the Lake County Library, pulling requested books from the shelves so that they can be transported throughout our three-county network of branch libraries. I started at just before 3 p.m. and worked for an hour and 45 minutes.

The route seemed pretty orderly and methodical. It followed the natural flow of moving from one place to another in the library. I’m looking forward to doing this again and possibly learning more about the workings of the library.

While volunteers like me pull books at the Lakeport library, others pull books elsewhere in response to patrons’ requests.

I have three books out right now that I’d requested through the online catalog: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan, Sherlock Holmes in America, edited by Martin H. Greenberg et al. and the sixth book in Erin Hunter’s Warriors: The Power of Three. Each book came from the Sonoma County Library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Robust debate and even unusual opinions are encouraged, but please stay on-topic and be respectful. Comments are subject to review for personal attacks or insults, discriminatory statements, hyperlinks not directly related to the discussion and commercial spam.