Saturday, February 27, 2010

Lake County Library: What’s next after pulling holds

The column I wrote for next Tuesday’s Lake County Record-Bee is about the time I spent pulling requested items from the library shelves last Saturday. Today I got hands-on experience in the next step of the process.

After pulling another list, I used a laser pen to scan each book’s barcode (I input a few by hand that the pen had difficulty with.

As I scanned each book, the computer screen told me where that book ought to go within our three-county network. I circled the correct branch on a routing slip and placed it in the book.

Finally, I packed the books in crates for an upcoming pick-up. The whole process from start to finish, in about an hour-and-a-half.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Robust debate and even unusual opinions are encouraged, but please stay on-topic and be respectful. Comments are subject to review for personal attacks or insults, discriminatory statements, hyperlinks not directly related to the discussion and commercial spam.