Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Letter supporting Pride displays in libraries

Someone removed all the books from a Pride display at the Rohnert Park library. In solidarity with Sonoma County Library and with other local libraries that help users to #ReadwithPRIDE, I submitted this letter to the editor of the Press Democrat. My ground-rule when writing this letter: not to validate a campaign to remove the books, nor the organization spearheading it, through any mention of their names.

A grateful library patron
During this Pride Month, as well as all year, I want to express my gratitude to our local libraries for their thoughtful selection of books and media that speak to varied perspectives and identities. I know that when I go to my library, I’ll find stories that mirror my experiences, as well as offer me a window into lives that might seem different from my own — but which often contain themes of universality if I look beyond surface differences. Know that, in spite of the hateful actions of a few, you are making a lasting difference.

Cite this letter:
Parkhill, C.M. (2022, June 29). A grateful library patron [letter to the editor]. Press Democrat, p. A10.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Robust debate and even unusual opinions are encouraged, but please stay on-topic and be respectful. Comments are subject to review for personal attacks or insults, discriminatory statements, hyperlinks not directly related to the discussion and commercial spam.