The library media center should serve as a “watering hole” for teachers to glean what their students are interested in, according to Tustin High School assistant principal Troy Fresch.
Fresch offered his perspective on library media center contributions during an ALA Booklist webinar, Struggling Readers and the Common Core: Improving Literacy in Changing Times.
This fledgling library professional reviewed the archived webinar to broaden my understanding of how I can effectively serve in a school library media center.
The goal of Common Core State Standards in English Language Arts, according to the official website, is to “help ensure that all students are college and career ready in literacy no later than the end of high school.”
Fresch recommended that library media center staff provide workshops on available resources to support the Common Core and convey limitations of the online world to students and teachers.
“Students will Google anything and everything but we have to help them understand that’s not one-stop shopping for information,” Fresch said.
The webinar included presentations by inner-city Chicago library media specialist KC Boyd, Tim McHugh, co-owner and vice president of sales and marketing at Saddleback Educational Publishing; and Andrew Wooldridge, publisher at Orca Books.
Subject Classifications (Partial list, via Dewey Decimal System)
- 006.754-Social Media
- 020-Library and Information Science
- 020.92-Cynthia M. Parkhill (Biographical)
- 023.3-Library Workers
- 025.04-Internet Access
- 027.473-Public Libraries-- Lake County CA
- 027.473-Public Libraries--Jackson County OR
- 027.473-Public Libraries--Sonoma County CA
- 027.663-Libraries and people with disabilities
- 027.8-School Libraries--Bellview Elementary
- 028.52-Children's Literature
- 028.535-Young Adult Literature
- 028.7-Information Literacy
- 158.2-Social Intelligence
- 323.30-People with disabilities--Civil rights
- 658.812-Customer Service
- 659.2-Public Relations
- 686.22-Graphic Design
- 746.43-Yarn bombing (Knitting and Crochet)
- 809-Literature--Critical Appraisal