Friday, February 16, 2024

The Sun is Also a Star, by Nicola Yoon



Each Friday that school is in session, I share the link to a read-aloud preview of a book from SRCSA library. The “First-chapter Friday” selection for Feb. 16, 2024 is The Sun is Also a Star, by Nicola Yoon.

Natasha: I’m a girl who believes in science and facts. Not fate. Not destiny. Or dreams that will never come true. I’m definitely not the kind of girl who meets a cute boy on a crowded New York City street and falls in love with him. Not when my family is 12 hours away from being deported to Jamaica. Falling in love with him won’t be my story.

Daniel: I’ve always been the good son, the good student, living up to my parents’ high expectations. Never the poet. Or the dreamer. But when I see her, I forget about all that. Something about Natasha makes me think that fate has something much more extraordinary in store — for both of us.

The Universe: Every moment in our lives has brought us to this single moment. A million futures lie before us. Which one will come true?

The Sun is Also a Star was the winner, in 2017, of the Coretta Scott King / John Steptoe Award for New Talent (Author). It was an Honor Book for the Michael L. Printz Award and the Walter Dean Myers Award for Outstanding Children’s Literature. It was a 2016 finalist for the National Book Award for young people’s literature, and a “Best Book” selection for the Center for the Study of Multicultural Children’s Literature.
https://youtu.be/ZixEN66Sbwc