Sunday, August 13, 2023

UCM, LIS 5400 : Introductions



I am taking graduate courses in Library and Information Science through the online program at University of Central Missouri. For Fall 2023, I am taking LIS 5400, “Children’s and Young Adult Literature.” I created this video to introduce myself to classmates.

We were asked to share our experience in libraries, and in October 2023 I will have worked for 10 years, professionally, in libraries.

I currently work as a Library Technician at a school in Santa Rosa, California. My work encompasses a variety of disciplines: children’s services, circulation, collection development and maintenance, cataloging and physical processing of materials, publicity and outreach.

During the school year, I share a link each week to a “First-chapter Friday” video. I read the opening pages of a new or an interesting book that students can check-out fromthe school library.

And before I began working professionally in libraries, I volunteered for about three years at my public library: shelving returns and locating items that were requested by patrons throughout a multi-branch, multi-county, shared library catalog.

So I actually have about 13 years of experience in libraries.

I enjoy reading a broad range of genres: but I’d have to say my favorites are science fiction and fantasy.

Right now I am reading Alebrijes by Donna Barba Higuera, and I am listening to an audiobook recording of Solitaire by Alice Oseman. I recently finished Beasts and Beauty by Sonan Chainani.

Another book I recently finished is All Systems Red by Martha Wells, Book 1 in The Murderbot Diaries.

My to-read pile includes Gilded by Marissa Meyer. And my read-again pile includes Elatsoe by Darcie Little Badger, The House in the Cerulean Sea by T.J. Klune, and Firekeeper’s Daughter by Angeline Boulley.

I enjoy a variety of formats, including graphic novels and short story collections as well as prose novels and audio books.

And I read books intended for a variety of ages, including adult-market books, but because Youth Services is my primary base of customers, I most often read middle-grade and young-adult books.

While I have classmates’ attention, I want to say I’m looking forward to our SOLIS Book Club discussion of All My Rage by Sabaa Tahir. Be sure to look for information about the discussion through our various SOLIS channels. I hope it turns out to be the first of many book club discussions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Robust debate and even unusual opinions are encouraged, but please stay on-topic and be respectful. Comments are subject to review for personal attacks or insults, discriminatory statements, hyperlinks not directly related to the discussion and commercial spam.