Monday, December 26, 2022

Book response: ‘Felix Ever After’

I’ve been going through tasks and charting possible titles for Book Riot’s Read Harder Challenge for 2023.

Having read and enjoyed Kacen Callender’s middle-grade offerings, King and the Dragonflies and Hurricane Child; reading Felix Ever After seemed a natural choice for prompt #1, “Read a novel about a trans character written by a trans author.”

The author describes Felix Ever After as a “deeply personal story,” one that they “put [their] heart and soul” into, as well as a “strong dose of vulnerability.”

The protagonist, Felix, was assigned female at birth and, as the story opens, has transitioned to male — when someone posts photos of Felix, pre-transition, labeled with his deadname, in a publicly visible art gallery. This person then continually taunts Felix through private messaging, with aggressively transphobic messages.

Felix decides that a certain classmate, Declan, was responsible for the gallery, and decides to retaliate by befriending Declan over social media via a fake account. Felix wants to get Declan to reveal something personal that Felix can then similarly exploit. Instead, Felix develops feelings for Declan, and meanwhile, Felix also continues questioning and exploring his own gender identity.

I found a lot to appreciate about this book, especially given Callender’s own sharing of their experience with questioning their gender identity. I think this statement by Felix, in a draft email to his mother (who abandoned him and his father), really encapsulates why we need stories that feature diverse protagonists, especially stories like Felix Ever After:

“Some people say we shouldn’t need labels. That we’re trying to box ourselves in too much. But I don’t know. It feels good to me, to know I’m not alone. That someone else has felt the same way I’ve felt, experienced the same things I’ve experienced. It’s validating” (Callender, 2020, p. 58).

Or consider this observation by Young Adult author Mark Oshiro, that “You can’t know something’s missing if you don’t know it exists. And that, to me, is sort of the greatest tragedy about [book challenges that target stories centering LGBTQIA+ characters’ experiences]” (Albanese, 2022).

I could empathize from my own experience: having tried in the past to explain to others, how I relate to people. Doing so was immensely difficult because I didn’t have the vocabulary with which to explain my differences. Finding that vocabulary several years later was such a revelation, and such a deep relief for me. And I’m still navigating what it would mean to fully disclose some aspects of my identity.

“Out and proud.” Visible, with our differences respected and validated: in safety, without persecution. That is what I wish: not just for myself, but for everyone who is in the minority with some aspect of their identity. I want us all to be able to “Celebrate our Variety,” whatever forms our varieties take.

References:
Albanese, A. (2022, Oct. 26). Panel explores surge in book bans, policies targeting the LGBTQ community. Industry news: Libraries. Publishers Weekly. https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/libraries/article/90740-panel-explores-surge-in-book-bans-policies-targeting-lgbtq-community.html

Callender, K. (2020). Felix ever after. Balzer & Bray.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Robust debate and even unusual opinions are encouraged, but please stay on-topic and be respectful. Comments are subject to review for personal attacks or insults, discriminatory statements, hyperlinks not directly related to the discussion and commercial spam.