Thursday, October 13, 2022

SOLIS presentation for ‘One Campus, One Book’

UCM’s Student Organization of Library and Information Services held its first meeting of the Fall 2022 semester on Oct. 12, 2022. The meeting featured a conversation led by Dr. Amanda Harrison, assistant professor of library science at UCM; and Angie Wiegers, director of district libraries, North Kansas City; with advice for new school librarians.

Harrison recommended that new librarians “Build relationships, be flexible, keep records, and stay focused,” advising listeners to do the best they can in the situations where they find themselves; while Wiegers advised listeners that they will be overwhelmed, “it’s a big job,” but to take things one step at a time. “Lessons don’t have to be perfect, and neither does your library.”

During the club meeting that followed, SOLIS voted to create a “Social Outreach Committee” and appointed me as committee chairperson.

One highlight for me was a chance to talk with SOLIS about “One Campus, One Book.” This was a common reading program at UCM from 2013 to 2017. While the program is currently inactive, my hope was that it could be revived.

Through screen-sharing over Zoom, I presented the slideshow I’d created for a YouTube video about “One Campus, One Book.” The intention of my video had been to hopefully generate interest in “One Campus, One Book,” and I’m optimistic that my presentation before SOLIS seemed to fall upon receptive ears. I’ll be following further developments!

(My YouTube video can be viewed at https://youtu.be/SoFsGWfR-6A)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Robust debate and even unusual opinions are encouraged, but please stay on-topic and be respectful. Comments are subject to review for personal attacks or insults, discriminatory statements, hyperlinks not directly related to the discussion and commercial spam.