Monday, January 22, 2018

‘Yarn Bombing at Your Library,’ in sixth year

Cynthia M. Parkhill attaches a length of crocheted fabric to a railing outside the Central Library in downtown Santa Rosa, Calif. The piece of crochet has letters worked into it that spell out, 'SUPPORT LIBRARIES'

Has it really been six years since I embarked on my fiber-art and social-media curation project, Yarn Bombing at Your Library? The yarn-bombing “tags” I feature were either installed at a library, or a library was instrumental in creating the piece. Through showcasing these installations, I raise attention for the value of libraries and their vital place in society. And while most of the projects I feature were created by other artists, I’ve “yarn-bombed” a few libraries myself. From January 2012, here’s a nighttime installation of a “Support Libraries” tag at the Central Santa Rosa Library in the Sonoma County Library system.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Robust debate and even unusual opinions are encouraged, but please stay on-topic and be respectful. Comments are subject to review for personal attacks or insults, discriminatory statements, hyperlinks not directly related to the discussion and commercial spam.