Saturday, October 18, 2014

‘Year of the Book’ by Andrea Cheng

Book cover: Year of the Book by Andrea Cheng. A girl holding a book looks back toward a girl behind her who leans forward as if to see, from over her shoulder, what the first girl is reading.
Because both of us are sewers and designers, I deeply related to Anna Wang, main character in The Year of the Book by Andrea Cheng.

Anna has sewn a lunch bag out of repurposed fabric and she makes it the subject of a classroom essay on the subject of “Perseverance.”

When composing her essay, Anna relives and documents the false starts and failed attempts before successfully completing the bag.

I could entirely relate this to my own experiences when creating an original project. I begin by visualizing the finished project in my head and the pattern shapes I need to create it.

Next, I draft the pattern pieces, cut them out and assemble them. If my first attempt didn’t match up with what I was trying to create, I might have to make refinements at one or more steps in construction.

And, like Anna, when sharing the steps I put into these projects, I run the risk of the non-sewing reader/listener not knowing what I’m talking about, of not knowing why our relating of the process is an example of “Perseverance.”

The Year of the Book is a third- to fifth-grade selection for Oregon Battle of the Books. My thoughts on this book were also posted to my online Children’s Literature class.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Robust debate and even unusual opinions are encouraged, but please stay on-topic and be respectful. Comments are subject to review for personal attacks or insults, discriminatory statements, hyperlinks not directly related to the discussion and commercial spam.