Monday, September 2, 2013

‘Secret shopper’ for Autistic Self Advocacy Network

On August 28 and 29, 2013, I visited The Job Council/Worksource Oregon Career Center in Medford, Oregon. The purpose of my visit was to be a field researcher, a “secret shopper,” for the Autistic Self Advocacy Network.

“For too long people with invisible disabilities have been left out of the unemployment services system,” ASAN stated in its “secret shopper” recruitment. My task as an autistic individual, someone with an invisible disability, was to visit my local American Job Center (AJC) office and then share my experiences through an online questionnaire.

The local AJC was easy to get to via public transportation. The site is approximately two blocks from the transit station, which meant a single bus trip, no transfers, to reach my destination.

While at the AJC, I attended workshops that directed me to various job boards. Attendees were also given instructions on how to earn certification in work-ready skills, how to apply for job skills training scholarships and how to apply for on-the-job training.

Secret shoppers’ experiences will help ASAN develop educational materials, which will then be shared with the AJCs.

Social aspects of job hunting are difficult for me. My hope as a survey participant is to help with ASAN’s mission to “create individual and system level change and improve inclusion of individuals with invisible disabilities.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Robust debate and even unusual opinions are encouraged, but please stay on-topic and be respectful. Comments are subject to review for personal attacks or insults, discriminatory statements, hyperlinks not directly related to the discussion and commercial spam.