Friday, March 3, 2017
‘Friends of the Library’ sales yield treasure
I often find such wonderful treasures during “Friends of the Library” book-sale events and this morning I ducked into the Spring 2017 Book Sale during a visit to Sonoma County Library’s Central Library in Santa Rosa, Calif. Amid sale offerings, How to Get Your Child to Love Reading by Esmé Raji Codell seemed perfect given my deep interest in library service to children.
From the labeling on its spine, this comprehensive volume was previously retired from the Central Library collection.
Hosted by Friends of the Santa Rosa Libraries, the Spring Book Sale raises vital money in support of Santa Rosa’s libraries.
The library website notes that in the Friends group’s more-than-40-year history, it has raised more than $1 million that has been used to purchase traditional library materials, as well as computer equipment, bookshelves, carpet, and other necessities. The money has also supported activities like the Summer Reading Program for children and teens, book groups, and the Adult Literacy program.
Sonoma County residents, if you missed the sale today you have two more opportunities, on Saturday and Sunday, to visit the Spring Book Sale. The sale continues from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, March 4, and 2 to 5 p.m. Sunday, March 5, in the Forum Room at the Central Library, 211 E Street in Santa Rosa, Calif.
Admission is free and a special deal on Sunday offers “Buy One, Get One FREE.” Cash or checks only, will be accepted in payment.
Subject Classifications (Partial list, via Dewey Decimal System)
- 006.754-Social Media
- 020-Library and Information Science
- 020.92-Cynthia M. Parkhill (Biographical)
- 023.3-Library Workers
- 025.04-Internet Access
- 027.473-Public Libraries-- Lake County CA
- 027.473-Public Libraries--Jackson County OR
- 027.473-Public Libraries--Sonoma County CA
- 027.663-Libraries and people with disabilities
- 027.8-School Libraries--Bellview Elementary
- 028.52-Children's Literature
- 028.535-Young Adult Literature
- 028.7-Information Literacy
- 158.2-Social Intelligence
- 323.30-People with disabilities--Civil rights
- 658.812-Customer Service
- 659.2-Public Relations
- 686.22-Graphic Design
- 746.43-Yarn bombing (Knitting and Crochet)
- 809-Literature--Critical Appraisal