Saturday, July 19, 2014
Validated by the fact that ‘Food Chaining’ is a thing
Eating continues to be the most difficult sensory task for this woman on the autism spectrum.
To expand my palate, my husband and I take an approach very similar to the “food chaining” discussed by Primeau at Aspergers101.
It takes time for me to get used to an unfamiliar food, and it requires considerable fortitude to be willing to try new things. An experience that is already fraught with challenges on the basis of unfamiliar or unpleasant tastes or textures is further burdened by past experiences and prevalent social attitudes.
My journey with food took me from the anger and recrimination of caregivers who labeled me “picky,” “spoiled” or “bad,” to the social pressure and arguments from peers who can’t conceive of someone disliking chocolate.
At a minimum, I have to bring my own snacks to venues where food is served, because I can’t rely on the selection including foods I am able to eat.
It intrigued me, reading Primeau’s post, to learn that there is a name for my husband’s and my approach to food and that, moreover, an entire book was written on the subject. Food Chaining by Cheryl Fraker, et al. is worth checking out for possible inclusion among my recommended books about autism.
Subject Classifications (Partial list, via Dewey Decimal System)
- 006.754-Social Media
- 020-Library and Information Science
- 020.92-Cynthia M. Parkhill (Biographical)
- 023.3-Library Workers
- 025.04-Internet Access
- 027.473-Public Libraries-- Lake County CA
- 027.473-Public Libraries--Jackson County OR
- 027.473-Public Libraries--Sonoma County CA
- 027.663-Libraries and people with disabilities
- 027.8-School Libraries--Bellview Elementary
- 028.52-Children's Literature
- 028.535-Young Adult Literature
- 028.7-Information Literacy
- 158.2-Social Intelligence
- 323.30-People with disabilities--Civil rights
- 658.812-Customer Service
- 659.2-Public Relations
- 686.22-Graphic Design
- 746.43-Yarn bombing (Knitting and Crochet)
- 809-Literature--Critical Appraisal