Wednesday, April 23, 2014
Beverly Cleary Children’s Choice Award
Bellview Elementary School was represented among Oregon’s voting student population.
The Oregon Association of School Libraries has also released a list of next year’s nominees: Violet Mackerel’s Brilliant Plot by Anna Branford, The Year of the Book by Andrea Cheng, The Secret Chicken Society by Judy Cox, Letters to Leo by Amy Hest, Leopard and Silkie: One Boy’s Quest to Save the Seal Pups by Brenda Paterson and Third Grade Angels by Jerry Spinelli.
The nominations include books that are targeted to second- and third-grade reading abilities, the age group for whom Cleary, an Oregon-born author, wrote many of her books. The award was created with her permission.
Students must read or listen to at two nominated books to be eligible to vote for their favorite. There is frequently overlap among reader’s choice nominations and the Oregon Battle of the Books.
Subject Classifications (Partial list, via Dewey Decimal System)
- 006.754-Social Media
- 020-Library and Information Science
- 020.92-Cynthia M. Parkhill (Biographical)
- 023.3-Library Workers
- 025.04-Internet Access
- 027.473-Public Libraries-- Lake County CA
- 027.473-Public Libraries--Jackson County OR
- 027.473-Public Libraries--Sonoma County CA
- 027.663-Libraries and people with disabilities
- 027.8-School Libraries--Bellview Elementary
- 028.52-Children's Literature
- 028.535-Young Adult Literature
- 028.7-Information Literacy
- 158.2-Social Intelligence
- 323.30-People with disabilities--Civil rights
- 658.812-Customer Service
- 659.2-Public Relations
- 686.22-Graphic Design
- 746.43-Yarn bombing (Knitting and Crochet)
- 809-Literature--Critical Appraisal