my Winter Reading log, The Underneath by Kathi Appelt is available in the Bellview Elementary School library and through Jackson County public libraries.
The Underneath tells the story of an old hound who shelters a pregnant cat and, later, her two gray kittens beneath his cruel owner’s home.
Abandonment, neglect and abuse of companion animals are among the themes that Appelt addresses in her book.
I had strong reactions to the plight of the animal characters, fueled by my feelings about past experiences of beloved animals in my own life. The Underneath was a difficult but ultimately rewarding book to read.
Cross-posted to the Jackson County Library Services Facebook page
Subject Classifications (Partial list, via Dewey Decimal System)
- 006.754-Social Media
- 020-Library and Information Science
- 020.92-Cynthia M. Parkhill (Biographical)
- 023.3-Library Workers
- 025.04-Internet Access
- 027.473-Public Libraries
- 027.663-Libraries and people with disabilities
- 027.8-School Libraries
- 028.52-Children's Literature
- 028.535-Young Adult Literature
- 028.7-Information Literacy
- 158.2-Social Intelligence
- 323.30-People with disabilities--Civil rights
- 658.812-Customer Service
- 659.2-Public Relations
- 686.22-Graphic Design
- 809-Literature--Critical Appraisal