Beverly Cleary Children’s Choice Award, and was also top vote-getter among Bellview Elementary School students.
The Beverly Cleary Children’s Choice Award (BCCCA) is sponsored by the Oregon Association of School Libraries (OASL), formerly the Oregon Educational Media Association (OEMA). The award is named in honor of Beverly Cleary, the Oregon-born children’s book author.
According to a description on the BCCCA website, children of all ages vote each spring for their favorite title from the list of nominated books. Nominations include books targeted to the reading ability of second- and third-graders or transitional readers.
The idea behind the BCCCA began in the summer of 2001 when Jann Tankersley invited some OEMA friends to discuss the possibilities of creating a children’s choice award. Tankersley is a long-time OASL member and library teacher at Dayton Elementary School.
The group of friends decided to name the award after Beverly Cleary, who wrote for the age group that was being targeted. With Cleary’s permission, the award was created.
Suggestions are currently being accepted for the next award cycle.
Nominated books can be fiction or informational, but should be quality literature, published three years prior to the nomination year, and at a second-grade or third-grade reading level (taking into account vocabulary, graphic support and physical layout of the books).
The purpose of the contest is to encourage reading of books that students may not otherwise find on their own and are not necessarily the popular best sellers. Please send ideas to BCCCA Chair Libby Hamler-Dupras, at elfgirl@Q.com.
Subject Classifications (Partial list, via Dewey Decimal System)
- 006.754-Social Media
- 020-Library and Information Science
- 020.92-Cynthia M. Parkhill (Biographical)
- 023.3-Library Workers
- 025.04-Internet Access
- 027.473-Public Libraries-- Lake County CA
- 027.473-Public Libraries--Jackson County OR
- 027.473-Public Libraries--Sonoma County CA
- 027.663-Libraries and people with disabilities
- 027.8-School Libraries--Bellview Elementary
- 028.52-Children's Literature
- 028.535-Young Adult Literature
- 028.7-Information Literacy
- 158.2-Social Intelligence
- 323.30-People with disabilities--Civil rights
- 658.812-Customer Service
- 659.2-Public Relations
- 686.22-Graphic Design
- 746.43-Yarn bombing (Knitting and Crochet)
- 809-Literature--Critical Appraisal