Voting is now open for the 2016 Oregon Reader’s Choice Award, an annual opportunity for Oregon students to choose their favorite book through the democratic process.
This year’s nominees are:
- True Blue Scouts of Sugar Man Swamp by Kathi Appelt
- Jinx by Sage Blackwood
- Flora & Ulysses by Kate DiCamillo
- Escape from Mr. Lemoncello’s Library by Chris Grabenstein
- A Tangle of Knots by Lisa Graff
- Donner Dinner Party by Nathan Hale
- Mountain Dog by Margarita Engle
- Rooftoppers by Katherine Rundell
You will find all but one of these books in the Bellview Elementary School library. Donner Dinner Party is shelved in the Young Adults’ non-fiction section of the Ashland public library.
Bellview fourth- and fifth-graders are eligible to vote in the Oregon Reader’s Choice Award. To qualify, each student must have read or listened to at least two of the nominated books.
Ballots are available in Bellview library and can either be given to me, or dropped into the red “VOTE” box on the library’s check-out counter.
Voting opened today (March 1) and will continue through March 31. Several nominees were featured titles this year in Oregon Battle of the Books, which means students assigned to read those OBOB selections may already be eligible to vote.
The intention of the award, according to the official website, is to encourage students to become “enthusiastic and discriminating readers.”