Saturday, July 26, 2014

Hand-knit sock, shaped for right foot

Right foot wearing a hand-knit sock in forest green. Arranged with it are a ball of yarn with knitting needles, nylon thread, a book by Ann Budd: Getting Started Knitting Socks, and a carrying case with clear cover through which more yarn is visible.

I’ve completed the right foot in my first knit pair of socks. (And yes, it really is tailored specifically for the right foot through my placement of toe-shaping decreases).

I used Ella Rae Classic Superwash in a beautiful forest green.

Original directions come from Getting Started Knitting Socks by Ann Budd. But instead of decreasing evenly on each side, I let my decreases follow the natural shape of the foot.

When the length of my sock reached my smallest toe, I began decreasing on that side: angling upward toward the larger toes. Only during the last five rows or so, did I begin shaping the other side.

I originated this adaptation when I was crocheting socks by hand. I found the socks fit better when I followed the foot’s natural shape. I call these socks “wearable sculptures.”

Knitting’s greater stretchability makes it less of an issue, but I prefer the more exact shaping of foot-specific socks.

Cross-posted to Ravelry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Robust debate and even unusual opinions are encouraged, but please stay on-topic and be respectful. Comments are subject to review for personal attacks or insults, discriminatory statements, hyperlinks not directly related to the discussion and commercial spam.