Sunday, July 21, 2013
‘The New Information Professional’
The information career tracks profiled in their book include Archives/Preservation of Information, Records Management, Library and Information Services, Human-Computer Interaction, Social Computing, Information Policy and Information Analysis and Retrieval.
I have experience in more than one of these information tracks.
During my tenure at the Lake County Record-Bee, I was engaged in social computing. I administered corporate Twitter and Facebook accounts to promote content and engage with readership.
I continue in this capacity with my library advocacy initiative, Yarn Bombing @ Your Library. In addition to creating and installing my own tags, I curate images on Facebook of other artists’ work.
I blog about issues of information policy and human-computer interaction, including accessibility of web design.
And, of course, I treasure my experience as a library volunteer: locating holds, shelving and supervising other volunteers during the Middletown library’s move to a new and larger facility and purchasing books, generating policy and promoting enjoyment of a small church lending library.
I am grateful for more recent volunteer experience in the Government Publications Department at Southern Oregon University’s Hannon Library. This and my work as an independent contractor for the Ashland-based Folium Partners represent some of my earliest connections in a new community.
So while I fight to rally support for financing Jackson County libraries, while I continue submitting applications to work at area libraries, I would welcome work — and have already worked — in these alternate areas.
Subject Classifications (Partial list, via Dewey Decimal System)
- 006.754-Social Media
- 020-Library and Information Science
- 020.92-Cynthia M. Parkhill (Biographical)
- 023.3-Library Workers
- 025.04-Internet Access
- 027.473-Public Libraries-- Lake County CA
- 027.473-Public Libraries--Jackson County OR
- 027.473-Public Libraries--Sonoma County CA
- 027.663-Libraries and people with disabilities
- 027.8-School Libraries--Bellview Elementary
- 028.52-Children's Literature
- 028.535-Young Adult Literature
- 028.7-Information Literacy
- 158.2-Social Intelligence
- 323.30-People with disabilities--Civil rights
- 658.812-Customer Service
- 659.2-Public Relations
- 686.22-Graphic Design
- 746.43-Yarn bombing (Knitting and Crochet)
- 809-Literature--Critical Appraisal