Summer reading programs for children, teens and adults began today at Jackson County Library Services. Most significant to this library student, volunteer and advocate is the adult program, “Groundbreaking Reads.
JCLS promotes the summer reading program as an antidote to “Summer Slide.” An infographic on its Facebook page cites studies showing that access to books during the summer prevents a loss of reading skills among students.
While “Summer Slide” should no longer be an issue for a committed life-long learner, I appreciate the opportunity to revisit an important influence. I would not be the avid reader I am today without regular visits to my library.
From now until Aug. 11 I can submit a “reading log” each time I finish (read or listen to) four books to be entered in a drawing for prizes at my local branch. A grand prize of a $50 gift certificate to a restaurant of the winner’s choice will be drawn from all branch entries.
Subject Classifications (Partial list, via Dewey Decimal System)
- 006.754-Social Media
- 020-Library and Information Science
- 020.92-Cynthia M. Parkhill (Biographical)
- 023.3-Library Workers
- 025.04-Internet Access
- 027.473-Public Libraries-- Lake County CA
- 027.473-Public Libraries--Jackson County OR
- 027.473-Public Libraries--Sonoma County CA
- 027.663-Libraries and people with disabilities
- 027.8-School Libraries--Bellview Elementary
- 028.52-Children's Literature
- 028.535-Young Adult Literature
- 028.7-Information Literacy
- 158.2-Social Intelligence
- 323.30-People with disabilities--Civil rights
- 658.812-Customer Service
- 659.2-Public Relations
- 686.22-Graphic Design
- 746.43-Yarn bombing (Knitting and Crochet)
- 809-Literature--Critical Appraisal