recommended books for people on the autism spectrum.
The book would also be a worthy addition to the young adult collection at a library.
The title character, Colin Fischer, uses the science of detection to decipher social situations: he examines the “crime scene” and analyzes clues to logically determine what is happening.
The school bully is accused of bringing a gun to school after it goes off on the school cafeteria. Fischer believes him to be innocent and decides to solve the mystery.
I could relate to Fischer’s viewpoint; like him, I observe human behavior as might what Lev Grossman describes as an “alien anthropologist” in his introduction to the book.
Colin Fischer is a worthy successor to fictional detective Sherlock Holmes. The skills of detection with which he responds to daily life serve him well in approaching this mystery.
Fischer’s observations in his notebook and authors’ footnotes to the text add an informative perspective on the traits of Asperger’s syndrome.
Colin Fischer brings a fresh, unique viewpoint to situations faced by young adults. I echo the directive of Steve Hockensmith, author of Holmes on the Range: “Get back to those keyboards, guys. I want to find out what happens to Colin next!”
Disclosure of material connection: My taxes support my public library’s acquisition of this and other resources. I consider the access I enjoy to be a “priceless” return on my investment.
Subject Classifications (Partial list, via Dewey Decimal System)
- 006.754-Social Media
- 020-Library and Information Science
- 020.92-Cynthia M. Parkhill (Biographical)
- 023.3-Library Workers
- 025.04-Internet Access
- 027.473-Public Libraries-- Lake County CA
- 027.473-Public Libraries--Jackson County OR
- 027.473-Public Libraries--Sonoma County CA
- 027.663-Libraries and people with disabilities
- 027.8-School Libraries--Bellview Elementary
- 028.52-Children's Literature
- 028.535-Young Adult Literature
- 028.7-Information Literacy
- 158.2-Social Intelligence
- 323.30-People with disabilities--Civil rights
- 658.812-Customer Service
- 659.2-Public Relations
- 686.22-Graphic Design
- 746.43-Yarn bombing (Knitting and Crochet)
- 809-Literature--Critical Appraisal