My read-aloud of Filo’s Butterflies, written by Litea Fuata and illustrated by Myo Yum, centered an experience that I think a lot of people can relate to.
Filo’s Butterflies combines a culturally-specific performance by Samoan young people with a universal feeling of nervousness around doing something for the first time. One of the things that I found very interesting was the way this book gave physical manifestation to young Filo’s feelings of nervousness. They appeared as actual butterflies (perceptible at least to him).
I think young readers will be able to relate to Filo’s experience with his “butterflies” as he prepares for a special performance during his aunties’ wedding.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Robust debate and even unusual opinions are encouraged, but please stay on-topic and be respectful. Comments are subject to review for personal attacks or insults, discriminatory statements, hyperlinks not directly related to the discussion and commercial spam.