Sunday, December 17, 2017

Volunteering for UUCSR Library


Volunteered for a couple of hours this morning in the Social Hall lending library, Unitarian Universalist Congregation, Santa Rosa.

Librarianship and UU involvement have been linked, for me, since 2010, when I volunteered as administrator of a lending library for the Unitarian Universalist Community of Lake County. I was taking online courses at the time through Cuesta College's Library and Information Technology program, and my volunteer work for UUCLC allowed me to apply practical application of the concepts I read about in textbooks.

One of the areas I focused upon each year was the UU “Common Read.” Each year that I served UUCLC as its volunteer Librarian, I stocked the library with the latest title and promoted the study guide as soon as it became available.

I continued to promote each year’s Common Read while living in Ashland, Oregon: where I worked as web editor and Religious Explorations coordinator for the Rogue Valley Unitarian Universalist Fellowship.

Upon our return to the Santa Rosa area, volunteering for the library at UUCSR seemed a natural decision for me.

And so it was that, this morning, while viewing the Social Hall library collection at UUCSR, I couldn’t resist showcasing two past titles from the UU Common Read.

Shown above, on display, are Behind the Kitchen Door by Saru Jayaraman (2013-2014 Common Read) and The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander (2012-2013 Common Read). Behind them, shelved books in a variety of titles round out the non-fiction selection while, not shown, an array of fiction titles are arranged for browsing on a table.

Lending library hours are from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. each Sunday at UUCSR. Books can be checked out for one month and returned Sunday mornings, or during the week in the front office during office hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Robust debate and even unusual opinions are encouraged, but please stay on-topic and be respectful. Comments are subject to review for personal attacks or insults, discriminatory statements, hyperlinks not directly related to the discussion and commercial spam.