Wednesday, December 27, 2017

‘DDC 22’ among books on my professional bookshelf

Book cover, first volume of DDC 22. Cover is divided horizontally into two shaded quadrants, with roughly the top one-third shaded green and the bottom two-thirds gray-to-blue.
Books on my Goodreads “Currently Reading” shelf include titles that are essential resources for my vocation as librarian. Among them: DDC 22 (OCLC, 2003).

Under the Dewey Decimal System (DDC), informational books are grouped in order according to the number assigned to them. This consistent application means that, once you know the Dewey number for a subject you are interested in, you can easily find books on the shelves of any library that arranges materials by this system.

DDC 22 is the 22nd edition of the classification system, originally authored by Melvil Dewey.

The DDC is under continual revision by a committee of editors under the OCLC, a global library cooperative, and at the time I purchased my four-volume set, the OCLC had recently published its 23rd edition. Well, being on a budget, I couldn’t justify a purchase of several hundred dollars, but a used set of DDC 22 was thankfully within my reach. It lists Dewey Decimal classifications numerically and also provides an index to quickly look up specific subjects.

1 comment:

  1. Update, Aug. 11, 2018: Books like this, which I refer to again and again, now occupy a "Reference Books" shelf at my Goodreads profile.

    ReplyDelete

Robust debate and even unusual opinions are encouraged, but please stay on-topic and be respectful. Comments are subject to review for personal attacks or insults, discriminatory statements, hyperlinks not directly related to the discussion and commercial spam.