Not surprisingly given student interest and school-community support, featured titles in this year’s Oregon Battle of the Books captured all 10 slots on the new school year’s first “Top 10” list. The books are:
1. Upside Down Magic by Sarah Mlynowski (FIC MLY)
2. Escaping the Giant Wave by Peg Kehret (FIC KEH)
3. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling (FIC ROW)
4. Rescue on the Oregon Trail by Kate Messner (FIC MES)
5. Woof by Spencer Quinn (FIC QUI)
6. Matilda by Roald Dahl (FIC DAH)
7. Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea (FIC BUY)
8. Quinny & Hopper by Adriana Brad Schanen (FIC SCH)
9. A Snicker of Magic by Natalie Lloyd (FIC LLO)
10. Knucklehead by Jon Scieszka (92 SCI)
Oregon Battle of the Books is a statewide voluntary reading motivation and comprehension program sponsored by the Oregon Association of School Libraries in conjunction with a grant from the Library Services and Technology Act. Students form teams and compete to correctly answer questions about the books.
OBOB has strong support from the Bellview PTO, which purchased the books for our school library through a grant from Rotary Club of Ashland Lithia Springs. The books’ “Top 10” prominence coincides with a strong interest among students in reading titles, forming teams and getting ready for practices.