Saturday, September 24, 2016
Dewey classifications govern books and blog
As of two years today ... my family’s home library has been classified and arranged according to the Dewey Decimal System, with each book assigned a number based upon the book’s subject (or by genre and era in the case of the 800s, literature).
Shown here, books from my library science courses, arranged in order numerically.
Since then, of course, I’ve extended this classification to subject-tagging on my blog. It seemed thematically appropriate, with my emphasis on librarianship, and was a natural progression from organizing books in numerical order by subject.
Subject Classifications (Partial list, via Dewey Decimal System)
- 006.754-Social Media
- 020-Library and Information Science
- 020.92-Cynthia M. Parkhill (Biographical)
- 023.3-Library Workers
- 025.04-Internet Access
- 027.473-Public Libraries
- 027.663-Libraries and people with disabilities
- 027.8-School Libraries
- 028.52-Children's Literature
- 028.535-Young Adult Literature
- 028.7-Information Literacy
- 158.2-Social Intelligence
- 323.30-People with disabilities--Civil rights
- 658.812-Customer Service
- 659.2-Public Relations
- 686.22-Graphic Design
- 809-Literature--Critical Appraisal