Thursday, June 9, 2016
‘On Your Mark, Get Set ... READ!’
Jackson County Library Services is promoting “Summer Read” activities that begin as soon as school lets out. Registration is free, and sign-ups can be done at any branch in the system.
In Bellview school library, I’ve incorporated a graphic from this year’s Summer Read theme into bookmarks that proclaim, “On Your Mark, Get Set ... READ!” My counter-top display pairs the Summer Read bookmarks with my library card sign-up promotion sign.
Summer reading programs are a great antidote to the “summer slide,” that drop in children’s reading skills when they don’t engage in educational activities. And truthfully, this adult looks forward each year to filling out her own reading log for the adults’ Summer Read program.
As the bookmarks’ wording indicates, this year’s program has a sports and fitness theme. Learn more at your nearest branch library or online at http://jcls.org/summerreading2016.
Subject Classifications (Partial list, via Dewey Decimal System)
- 006.754-Social Media
- 020-Library and Information Science
- 020.92-Cynthia M. Parkhill (Biographical)
- 023.3-Library Workers
- 025.04-Internet Access
- 027.473-Public Libraries
- 027.663-Libraries and people with disabilities
- 027.8-School Libraries
- 028.52-Children's Literature
- 028.535-Young Adult Literature
- 028.7-Information Literacy
- 158.2-Social Intelligence
- 323.30-People with disabilities--Civil rights
- 658.812-Customer Service
- 659.2-Public Relations
- 686.22-Graphic Design
- 809-Literature--Critical Appraisal