Sunday, May 24, 2015
Summer reading at Jackson County libraries
Jackson County libraries’ summer reading program starts as soon as school finishes. During these final days of the year in Bellview Elementary School library, I’m promoting the summer reading program by making bookmarks available.
The theme of this year’s summer reading program is, “Every Hero Has a Story.”
Courtesy of Lyn Heerema, children’s librarian at the Ashland Branch Library, these bright orange bookmarks list children’s activities for the summer reading program. Children are invited to “Find your Superpower at the Ashland Children’s Library.”
As an aspiring youth librarian, I appreciate these programs for their antidote to “Summer Slide,” that drop in children’s reading skills when they don’t engage in educational activities. But as an avid reader, I look forward to completing summer reading logs of my own.
Earlier this year, I enjoyed pizza dinner for having the winning entry in a drawing among completed logs.
Summer reading programs are offered free of charge and are supported through the generosity of the Hulburt Bequest and Friends of the Library groups throughout Jackson County. For more information about summer reading programs at JCLS, visit jcls.org/programs-and-events/reading-programs/.
Subject Classifications (Partial list, via Dewey Decimal System)
- 006.754-Social Media
- 020-Library and Information Science
- 020.92-Cynthia M. Parkhill (Biographical)
- 023.3-Library Workers
- 025.04-Internet Access
- 027.473-Public Libraries-- Lake County CA
- 027.473-Public Libraries--Jackson County OR
- 027.473-Public Libraries--Sonoma County CA
- 027.663-Libraries and people with disabilities
- 027.8-School Libraries--Bellview Elementary
- 028.52-Children's Literature
- 028.535-Young Adult Literature
- 028.7-Information Literacy
- 158.2-Social Intelligence
- 323.30-People with disabilities--Civil rights
- 658.812-Customer Service
- 659.2-Public Relations
- 686.22-Graphic Design
- 746.43-Yarn bombing (Knitting and Crochet)
- 809-Literature--Critical Appraisal