Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Beth Volkman for National Library Workers Day

Logo for National Library Workers Day. Human figures shelve and read books among the letters NLWD, with the acronym spelled out below. Beneath that, additional text specifies April 14, 2015 and hashtag '#nlwd15'
Source of image: ALA Allied Professional Association
Today, in honor of National Library Workers Day, I want to give special appreciation to library workers who inspired me. Among them, Beth Volkman served as librarian at Calistoga Junior/Senior High School in Calistoga, Calif.

During my time at school, I was subjected to constant bullying and ostracism. I was unable to find friendship among my peers, and the library was my refuge. I deeply appreciated the supportive, enriching place that Mrs. Volkman created in the library.

Mrs. Volkman also influenced my later reading life. She gave me a library decommissioned book, John Steinbeck’s The Grapes of Wrath. My husband and I read that same copy aloud to each other during a statewide reading promotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Robust debate and even unusual opinions are encouraged, but please stay on-topic and be respectful. Comments are subject to review for personal attacks or insults, discriminatory statements, hyperlinks not directly related to the discussion and commercial spam.