Thursday, July 10, 2014
‘Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Art’
After helping teen librarian Esther Mortensen set up for the construction of found-object robots, I responded to a request by Denise Wilson for additional volunteers in the library children’s department.
The children’s department had been transformed into a multi-station setting that explored color, collage, sound and the alphabet.
For a couple of hours, I helped supervise a table for collages, where children cut images from magazines, colored with oil crayons and used inking stamps.
At other stations, children created noisemakers from plastic bottles filled with small rocks. Cardboard tubes were brightly decorated with wrapped string.
The activity’s theme is from the title of a book by Bill Martin Jr. and John Archambault, illustrated by Lois Ehlert. The reading aloud of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom was a highlight of Tuesday’s activity.
If you missed the excitement on Tuesday, watch the Jackson County Library Services calendar. Summer reading activities are scheduled at multiple branches in our library system.
Subject Classifications (Partial list, via Dewey Decimal System)
- 006.754-Social Media
- 020-Library and Information Science
- 020.92-Cynthia M. Parkhill (Biographical)
- 023.3-Library Workers
- 025.04-Internet Access
- 027.473-Public Libraries-- Lake County CA
- 027.473-Public Libraries--Jackson County OR
- 027.473-Public Libraries--Sonoma County CA
- 027.663-Libraries and people with disabilities
- 027.8-School Libraries--Bellview Elementary
- 028.52-Children's Literature
- 028.535-Young Adult Literature
- 028.7-Information Literacy
- 158.2-Social Intelligence
- 323.30-People with disabilities--Civil rights
- 658.812-Customer Service
- 659.2-Public Relations
- 686.22-Graphic Design
- 746.43-Yarn bombing (Knitting and Crochet)
- 809-Literature--Critical Appraisal