Tuesday, March 11, 2014
Scholastic Book Fair in Roosevelt Elementary School library
For my Cuesta College internship, I helped set up for a Scholastic Book Fair in Roosevelt Elementary School in Medford School District 549C today.
Scholastic Book Fairs are a high point among my own elementary-school memories, one of the few positives from my time in school.
To this day, many of the fantasy books toward which I gravitate — J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter series and Cornelia Funke’s Inkheart trilogy — were published by Scholastic.
To help prepare for the event today, I unpacked books and put them on display. The final step was to put reorder slips in the last copy on the shelf of books that we thought would sell out.
I relied upon impressions from what seemed to be popular among students in my own library: which titles and subjects did the students seem to ask for again and again?
It will ultimately come down to guesswork but it would be interesting if I could later learn how my predictions played out.
The Scholastic Book Fair takes place from Wednesday through Friday in the Roosevelt Elementary School library media center.
According to the Roosevelt newsletter, book fair hours are from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Wednesday and 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Thursday and Friday during school.
After-school hours are from 1 to 3 p.m. on Wednesday. The newsletter notes that students must be accompanied by a parent or guardian to visit the book fair after school.
Cross-posted to the Facebook page of the Cuesta College Library/Information Technology Program
Subject Classifications (Partial list, via Dewey Decimal System)
- 006.754-Social Media
- 020-Library and Information Science
- 020.92-Cynthia M. Parkhill (Biographical)
- 023.3-Library Workers
- 025.04-Internet Access
- 027.473-Public Libraries-- Lake County CA
- 027.473-Public Libraries--Jackson County OR
- 027.473-Public Libraries--Sonoma County CA
- 027.663-Libraries and people with disabilities
- 027.8-School Libraries--Bellview Elementary
- 028.52-Children's Literature
- 028.535-Young Adult Literature
- 028.7-Information Literacy
- 158.2-Social Intelligence
- 323.30-People with disabilities--Civil rights
- 658.812-Customer Service
- 659.2-Public Relations
- 686.22-Graphic Design
- 746.43-Yarn bombing (Knitting and Crochet)
- 809-Literature--Critical Appraisal