Monday, November 26, 2012

Facebook privacy notice is a hoax

Quickmeme.com image. Robin: "In response to the new Facebook guidelin-." Batman:"Shut up! It's a hoax! Do you check before you post crap on Facebook?"
http://www.quickmeme.com/
I found this statement posted as an update by another Facebook user in my timeline:
“In response to the new Facebook guidelines I hereby declare that my copyright is attached to all of my personal details, illustrations, comics, paintings, professional photos and videos, etc. (as a result of the Berner Convention). For commercial use of the above my written consent is needed at all times.
“Anyone reading this can copy this text and paste it on their Facebook Wall. This will place them under protection of copyright laws. By the present communiqué, I notify Facebook that it is strictly forbidden to disclose, copy, distribute, disseminate, or take any other action against me on the basis of this profile and/or its contents. The aforementioned prohibited actions also apply to employees, students, agents and/or any staff under Facebook's direction or control. The content of this profile is private and confidential information. The violation of my privacy is punished by law (UCC 1 1-308-308 1-103 and the Rome Statute).
“Facebook is now an open capital entity. All members are recommended to publish a notice like this, or if you prefer, you may copy and paste this version. If you do not publish a statement at least once, you will be tacitly allowing the use of elements such as your photos as well as the information contained in your profile status updates.”
Along with the next guy, I would have loved this simple action to carry legal weight. Lately I've been spammed by sponsored posts from an entity called “Women Get It Free.” It shows up in my timeline because two of my friends apparently “liked” the page. Someone is attempting to reap commercial benefit from those Facebook users’ preferences.

Unfortunately for more than one Facebook user in my timeline, Snopes.com exposed this as a hoax.
“Facebook users cannot retroactively negate any of the privacy or copyright terms they agreed to when they signed up for their Facebook accounts nor can they unilaterally alter or contradict any new privacy or copyright terms instituted by Facebook simply by posting a contrary legal notice on their Facebook walls.”
Snopes added that Facebook privacy and copyright policies are “neither diminished nor enhanced by Facebook’s public status.”

In a graphic created at QuickMeme.com, a cartoon Batman delivers this same message more succinctly and forcefully to a hoax-duped Robin. Sebastiaan Tenholter shared the graphic as a mobile upload; it appeared in my timeline via reposting by Steve Buttry.

And it’s worth remembering that if you marked something “public,” you can’t control who uses or reposts it. That goes for “liking” too. For this reason I specify on pages I administer that “All content on this page is public.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Robust debate and even unusual opinions are encouraged, but please stay on-topic and be respectful. Comments are subject to review for personal attacks or insults, discriminatory statements, hyperlinks not directly related to the discussion and commercial spam.