Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Buttoned Up.com provides executive function suggestions

Diagram of brain showing areas that control intelligence, judgement and behavior; memory and lanaguage
Buttoned Up
This morning I proofread an informative column about executive function for the  Lifestyles section in Wednesday's Record-Bee. During lunch, I found a link to the column, or to a similar counterpart, at getbuttonedup.com.

The authors, Sarah Welch and Alicia Rockmore of Buttoned Up, address developing executive function in children but I think the advice is applicable for people of all ages who find it difficult to self-regulate.

I certainly found much of benefit to myself when proofreading the column. Faced with distractions, particularly by distractions that are more interesting than the task at hand, I sometimes struggle to retain focus. I believe the suggestions in this column can be of benefit to me.

Among its recommendations: create an environment that is conducive to focus, take greater control with routines, reward the child when he or she overrides his impulses (a self-reward could be mental acknowledgement of a job well done), emphasize reading directions as a necessary first step and use incentives to amplify lessons.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Robust debate and even unusual opinions are encouraged, but please stay on-topic and be respectful. Comments are subject to review for personal attacks or insults, discriminatory statements, hyperlinks not directly related to the discussion and commercial spam.