Friday, September 14, 2012

Makerblog: Wrist warmers knit on flower loom

Wrist warmers knit on Knifty Knitter flower loom
Wrist warmers knit on Knifty Knitter flower loom
During an Internet search for wrist warmer patterns, I came across a Make: Craft blog entry about wrist warmers knit on a flower loom. I was intrigued that at least one other crafter had arrived at the idea of knitting wrist warmers on a flower loom.

Knifty Knitter Loom-AlongNatalie Zee Drieu posted a pattern by Vickie Howell in September 2009 and I arrived at the idea independently one year ago with the creation of fingerless mitts.

Attempting to knit on a loom with removable pegs was a less-than-satisfying experience. It took several applications of glue to anchor the pegs in place but I finally had a glove-sized knitting loom.

I more or less approach this project as described in the blog: work in-the-round until it is time to knit an opening for the thumb, then work back and forth for six rows.
12-peg Provo Craft "Flower Loom"
Knifty Knitter Loom-Along

To complete the glove, I then resume working in the round.

I differ in my approach toward the use of ribbing as a decorative accent. The gloves shown above have two rows of knitting centered down the back of each glove.

I work counterclockwise and, using the anchor peg as my frame of reference, the peg immediately to its left in the image at right would be peg one. Peg two is to its left and so on for a total of 12.

To make the right-handed glove, I purl on pegs one, two and three, knit on four and five and purl on the remaining pegs six through 12.

When making the left-handed glove, I purl on pegs one through seven, knit on pegs eight and nine and purl on pegs 10 through 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Robust debate and even unusual opinions are encouraged, but please stay on-topic and be respectful. Comments are subject to review for personal attacks or insults, discriminatory statements, hyperlinks not directly related to the discussion and commercial spam.