Friday, May 6, 2011

Guest blogging for Autism Women’s Network

Cynthia Parkhill in green Renaissance costume with Irish frame drum
Cynthia Parkhill guest-blogs for the Autism Women’s Network
My guest-blogging post for the Autism Women’s Network is about the benefit of my involvement in a medieval reenactment group, the Society for Creative Anachronism: that medieval reenactment brought me friends and professional skills.

As I explain in the essay, for most of my life, I felt alone and out-of-place, like an alien from another planet. I was fortunate in young adulthood to discover the SCA, a place where I could pursue the special interests that led me to be able to form friendships.

The Autism Women’s Network is featuring posts by females on the autism spectrum as well as parents and caregivers, in order to give the public a better idea of what female autism is in the words of people who actually live it every day.

Author’s Note, October 2023: The link to my essay has been replaced by a link to it on my own blog, as the essay no longer exists on the organization’s website. The organization’s name has also been updated in intervening years: it is now known as the Autistic Women & Nonbinary Network.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Robust debate and even unusual opinions are encouraged, but please stay on-topic and be respectful. Comments are subject to review for personal attacks or insults, discriminatory statements, hyperlinks not directly related to the discussion and commercial spam.