A red-carpet gala commemorated the new Lower Lake High School (LLHS) library, dedicated to Winkie Griffin. "This is an honor I will be carrying for the rest of my life," Griffin said.
The Winkie Griffin Library Media Center has been constructed at LLHS with proceeds from Measure G, a bond approved by district voters. Griffin recounted how, 40 years ago, when she began work as the school's librarian, she was promised a new library by its superintendent. An ongoing joke through the years was that by the time the new library materialized, it would be the "Griffin Memorial."
Griffin has worked for LLHS since June 1967 and, even though officially "retired," she continues to sub for the district, primarily in the high school library.
School board members and district officials joined Griffin for a cutting of the ribbon and guests were afterward invited to take a tour of the new facility, which is 4,480 feet in size.
Guest author Vicki Hessel Werkley presented copies of her book Girl-On-Fire, a historical novel set in pioneer America. Werkley said that without libraries, she could not have done the research that she needed in order to write her book. "Books are incredible because they are the source of information and insight," Werkley added.
Campus and community support contributed to completion of the library. LLHS Principal Jeff Dixon said that students helped to move the books. Maintenance Director Dana Moore also credited a PSI Seminars men's group who spent several days landscaping and wiring lights in the parking lot in time for the library's dedication.
Originally published in the Clear Lake Observer American
Subject Classifications (Partial list, via Dewey Decimal System)
- 006.754-Social Media
- 020-Library and Information Science
- 020.92-Cynthia M. Parkhill (Biographical)
- 023.3-Library Workers
- 025.04-Internet Access
- 027.473-Public Libraries-- Lake County CA
- 027.473-Public Libraries--Jackson County OR
- 027.473-Public Libraries--Sonoma County CA
- 027.663-Libraries and people with disabilities
- 027.8-School Libraries--Bellview Elementary
- 028.52-Children's Literature
- 028.535-Young Adult Literature
- 028.7-Information Literacy
- 158.2-Social Intelligence
- 323.30-People with disabilities--Civil rights
- 658.812-Customer Service
- 659.2-Public Relations
- 686.22-Graphic Design
- 746.43-Yarn bombing (Knitting and Crochet)
- 809-Literature--Critical Appraisal