At work at the Lake County Record-Bee, we’re beginning to think about the Progress Edition, a big special publication that comes out once a year. This time around, we’re examining old newspaper stories about things that still impact us today.
Yesterday I was looking at newspapers circa the ’30s and ’50s. They made for interesting reading.
No photos, column after tiny column of one brief item after another, much of which was community gossip. No reporters’ bylines on the news stories. The pages were yellowed and at times crumbling with age. To see them, bound together, was like seeing a series of historical snapshots.
Subject Classifications (Partial list, via Dewey Decimal System)
- 006.754-Social Media
- 020-Library and Information Science
- 020.92-Cynthia M. Parkhill (Biographical)
- 023.3-Library Workers
- 025.04-Internet Access
- 027.473-Public Libraries-- Lake County CA
- 027.473-Public Libraries--Jackson County OR
- 027.473-Public Libraries--Sonoma County CA
- 027.663-Libraries and people with disabilities
- 027.8-School Libraries--Bellview Elementary
- 028.52-Children's Literature
- 028.535-Young Adult Literature
- 028.7-Information Literacy
- 158.2-Social Intelligence
- 323.30-People with disabilities--Civil rights
- 658.812-Customer Service
- 659.2-Public Relations
- 686.22-Graphic Design
- 746.43-Yarn bombing (Knitting and Crochet)
- 809-Literature--Critical Appraisal